Meatless Monday: Polenta Parmesan
The first time I made this dish, John literally turned up his nose and gave me that you’ve got to be kidding me look.
Just try it, I told him.
The rest is history.
I now keep a tube of polenta in the refrigerator for those nights where I want something meatless, something hearty, and something that I won’t spend two hours in the kitchen preparing.
Because I just don’t have that kind of time.
I love the crunch of this dish once it’s been crusted and the cheese and mozzarella sauce really just top it off perfectly. I’ve seen other recipes that call for sausage and vegetables with this and I’m anxious to try one of those as well.
One of these nights.
For now, I’ll stick with this dish since it’s tried, tested, and approved!
- 1 Tube of polenta (any flavor will do.)
- 1 Egg
- Tomato/pasta sauce
- Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
1. Heat oil on the stovetop for frying.
2. Slice the polenta into rounds. Dredge in the egg wash and then into the breadcrumbs. Place in the oil. Turn once the bottom of the polenta round begins to heat. After the round has been entirely browned, place on a cookie sheet (mine was covered in foil with some baking spray.)
3. After all polenta is on the cookie sheet, top with a spoonful of pasta sauce and some cheese. Place under the broiler (on high) for a minute or two.
These are definitely best served warm. Enjoy!